Loves The Find: Honest Review - Valspar Chalky Finish vs. Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Honest Review - Valspar Chalky Finish vs. Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

To start off, both of these products are wonderful and definitely worth trying out! Get inspired and GO PAINT!


Valspar vs. Annie Sloan


Similarities:
  • -Both Annie Sloan and Valspar require little to no preparation of the item you are painting. No sanding, no priming,...whohoo! However, both do have recommendations to sand for certain surfaces that are glossy, rusty, or chipping paint (just research a little if your canvas requires a little TLC). I also recommend always giving a furniture piece a once over with a damp rag or paper towel to ensure no debris or dust mixes with your paint. Just allow ample drying time before your first coat of paint (15 minutes is normally good).
  • -Both cover well, luxurious thick color application, give a great matte finish (I do however think Valspar looks more “chalky” if that makes sense), low odor, and all around super easy to apply with forgiving application.
  • -Both do not require you to use an expensive brush (Annie Sloan does have a special brush but it is crazy expensive). Find a brush that has long flexible (not too floppy) natural bristles or a flat brush for smoother look. This brush is also reasonable if you want something specifically for chalk paint.
  • -Both brands offer a clear protective wax coat and a dark wax to give your project an antique finish.

  • Pros:
-Great value - $29.99 Valspar 29oz can ($1.03 per fluid oz.) $38.50 Annie Sloan 32oz can ($1.20 per fluid oz.)  - saves $0.17 per fluid oz. about $5 savings for a can *prices based on VA
-Easy access (pick up at a local Lowe’s compared to hunting down a small boutique distributer of Annie Sloan)
-More color options (Valspar has 40 while Annie Sloan has 32)

Cons:
-Had to use more Valspar paint than Annie Sloan product
-Some people have complained that their color selections do not match the Valspar color swatches when mixed at Lowes
-Does not come in smaller sizes like the sample 4oz size Annie Sloan offers for $13.50 which is great for small projects or using multiple colors for a project
-People have stated the Annie Sloan waxes are better, however since I have not tried Valspar I cannot verify this myself


Here is an easy color swatch reference guide to compare the colors. The Lowe's staff did state that ANY Valspar color could be mixed with the chalky finish, however researching Valspar does only have 40 tintable color options it recommends. But you can always take a chance if you find a color you just LOVE! (update 3/7/2016 - I went again to get Valspar paint for an upcoming project and the Lowe's staff stated again that you can pick ANY color to be mixed with the chalky finish paint...WOW, what a selection!)


Photos via: http://thatcoversit-home.com, http://www.valsparpaint.com, http://www.anniesloan.com

30 comments:

  1. I've used both and prefer the Annie Sloan hands down. The Valspar gets bubbles in it, especially if you want a smooth finish because you have to water it down to prevent brush strokes. The Annie Sloane strokes on perfectly and has a beautiful matte finish. Also, it's true that you don't need as many coats with the Annie Sloane. Considering the AS paint is only about $5 more a can, it's more than worth the extra money considering the ease of use and the fact that you have to use less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim for your review. I personally did not have issues with the Valspar bubbling but do agree that Annie Sloan does have have overall positives.

      Delete
  2. I have used ASCP on concrete, linoleum, plastic, wood, ceramic, and metal over the years. For the most part, I don't believe it lives up to the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can easily mix your own chalk paint with products from Home Depot and it it much less expensive and works just as well. There are tutorials all over Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, I have used my own mix as well using Paris of Plaster and it's great for smaller projects for sure! I however wouldn't recommend it for large furniture projects just with the consistency and with the applicability of the mixed paint.

      Delete
    2. Homemade chalk paint still contains latex paint which over time doesn't adhere as well as AS Chalk Paint.

      Delete
    3. Plaster of Paris is hazardous, creates it's own heat and can burn your skin. Not a good solution! Try Chalk-tique Additive. Non toxic, when added to ANY paint it will last for years. Hands down, sticks better than any chalk paint out there, and is SO much cheaper!

      Delete
    4. Thank you Natalie. I had not heard of Chalk-tique Additive, but can't wait to try it out!

      Delete
    5. A home blend is a waste of time. You'll never be able to remove the latex in the paint which means it can't work the same.

      Delete
  4. Do you recommend putting a clear coat over if using on kitchen cabinets?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you recommend a clear coat if you areceived using chalk paint on kitchen cabinets?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you recommend a clear coat if you areceived using chalk paint on kitchen cabinets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes always seal it. I prefer a water based poly over wax and use several coats. Also let it cute for a couple weeks of possible. Oil based can yellow over time.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Misty and Julia- I would highly reccommned sealing as well for kithcen cabinets!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I was talking to a AS vendor and she said this paint is not recommended for outdoors because is not protected against sun, water, etc. I hope this helps

      Delete
  8. I read a comment about chalk paint in the kitchen. The blogger said that the wax finish was a grime magnet and she couldn't get her cabinets clean. I'm going to do my kitchen cabinets next and will use a poly sealer of some kind when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best additive for making your own chalk paint, hands down, is Calcium Carbonate (which is the chemical make up of chalk btw) purchased by the pound from an on line nutrition store. Not toxic in the least because it is food grade. Mix 3 parts paint to one part chalk. First measure out CC powder and mix with just enough water to moisten into a smooth paste. This enables easy mixing into the paint with no dry surprise lumps. If you use a premium latex paint, it works amazingly. And pS, ASCP contains latex so its not that far off. Works like a dream and wears as well as any chalk paint I have tried. Make sure to seal with wax or top coat. Its chalk paint, so it's porous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made my own chalk paint using calcium carbonate (chalk). I used an industrial grade and it never really broke up fine. The next time I used food grade and it dissolved much easier. It actually had a recipe on the bag (purchased from Amazon). In the end it is hard to get a good mix and balance of water, chalk, and paint. I have not been doing this long so I can not yet speak to durability, but I sure like the freedom to mix my own colors.
    P.S. Lowes also sells a paint medium that you can use to create a glazing effect on chalk paint, if you are not as fond of the super-matte finish as plain chalk gives you.
    Thanks everyone for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So confused. Sand a glossy finish before adding the chalf paint or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MJ- The great thing about chalk paint is it will takes to most surfaces. I would tes tyour glossy finish and see how well it takes, but you should be ok!

      Delete
  12. Can I use general finishes flat out flat top coat on top of AS chalk paint? I'm painting built-ins and the wax seems like it would take forever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi- Flat paint is not the same as chalk paint in the ability to not sand.

      Delete
    2. If you have ANY questions about GF and use of their product, consider using their Customer Support line. I have heard they are phenomenal!

      Delete
  13. I just tried the Valspar chalky finish paint and sealing wax on a dresser. I was very disappointed with both products. I had selected Valspar because Lowes mixed it to any colour I wanted and I wanted a creamy colour that worked with the existing colours in my room. I, like others have noted, had issues with tiny bubbles in the paint, even with out diluting. Coverage was also an issue. I had stripped the former finish off the dresser, but had used some filler. It took 5 coats before you couldn't see the filler through the paint. But the wax was the WORST. I followed instructions exactly as noted thin coat, wipe off. It completely yellowed my dresser... and not just a bit - very noticeably. I may have expected that from an antiquing wax, but not a sealant wax. Really hoping now that I don't have to totally refinish the whole project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Adam - I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with the Valspar products. I didn't use a cream color, so the grey tones work well and don't yellow. Hope you don't have to re-do either!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great content material as well as great layout. Your website deserves all of the positive feedback it’s been getting. I will be back soon for further quality contents. exterior paint

    ReplyDelete