Loves The Find: Shabby Chic Re-finished Dining Set

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Shabby Chic Re-finished Dining Set



So I can't take any credit for this masterpiece unless moral support counts :) Remember the amazing whitewash brick post at my friend's new house, well she has done a TON of projects to amp-up her decor in a budget friendly way by utilizing items she already had and giving them a complete makeover. This gorgeous wood table was her grandparents and spent years waiting for her to have space to display it. I am pretty obsessed with the claw foot detail and how she decided to keep the stunning wood on the top and on the seats.

How she accomplished this...

She started with sanding all the areas she was leaving wood just enough to get the top protective layer off. After a damp rag wipe off she was ready to stain. On the wood parts she used a dark walnut wood stain and finished with a matte finish polyurethane. The white paint is Annie Sloan 'Old White' color. After it dried, she lightly sanded the painted surfaces giving it a distressed antique look. 

We had so much fun Friday night around this table and I can't wait for more girls night in the future laughing around this beautiful inherited treasure.


BEFORE:



AFTER:






19 comments:

  1. how did you do the spindles, specifically where the back portion of the chair meets the seat bottom? Seems like it would be much easier if you were able to remove it form the seat bottoms. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did you do the spindles, specifically where the back portion of the chair meets the seat bottom? Seems like it would be much easier if you were able to remove it form the seat bottoms. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Evan - Thank you for commenting! She stained the seat first by taping off the spindles and legs so the stain did not bleed. Once dried she removed the tape and tape the newly stained wood to protect it from the white chalk paint she used. You can also use a very small brush to touch up the areas where the wood and paint meet for a polished end result. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you put any sort of protective coat over the chalk paint? We tried using a wax and the white started to yellow the white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, on her project she did use the AS clear protective wax as protective coat. I used Old White on my dining room table and also used the clear wax without yellowing. It may be some of the wood sealant/stain coming through. You might want to try sanding your piece a little. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. I really appreciate the links to the products you used! I am considering using the stain on the entire table (I have the exact same table as shown here!) How many quarts do you think that would take? Or just to gauge, how many quarts did it take you just to do the table top and chair seats?

      Thank you!

      Delete
    3. I really appreciate the links to the products you used! I am considering using the stain on the entire table (I have the exact same table as shown here!) How many quarts do you think that would take? Or just to gauge, how many quarts did it take you just to do the table top and chair seats?

      Thank you!

      Delete
    4. Hi Kate!! You are very welcome!! I would loved to see the finished product. Good luck staining! 1 quart for this table was enough.

      Delete
  5. Her table came out great and I love the chairs, I wish I had the chairs to match. I would recommend using stripper on the table top to remove any protective coatings prior to sanding. I had greater success when I did this. xoxo Ari xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the exact table and chair set - and the dark color was really getting to me. What a fine idea you gave me with the repainting! Unless I missed the post, did you have to apply a clear "wax" or coating to both the stained area AND the white painted area? Was it chalk paint u used? I have heard chalk paint has a funny feel to it. Love your ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to ask.. did you sand any of the areas before painting/staining??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolynn - She sanded the stained areas first but not the white Annie Sloan chalk paint (old white color) parts. She used a poly to protect the stain and the AS clear wax to protect the paint.

      Delete
  8. Love how your dining set turned out. I too have the same set and would like pointers on painting and staining the chairs. Since I'm a novice, all advice is needed and welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I'm working on another version, so be sure to come back and check it out!

      Delete