Loves The Find: DIY Wedding Cake Topper

Friday, April 8, 2016

DIY Wedding Cake Topper

So how stunning is this DIY wedding cake topper? I was pretty amazed with myself tackling this project A. because I was nervous as crap that it wouldn't turn out good and the bride would hate it and B. because Willie thought I was nuts and asked "how are you going to make all that come together and not look weird"?

Well it did! (ohhh and an extra bonus I got to prove my husband wrong!)

When my childhood horse riding friend asked me to make this, I was completely honored and so excited for her amazing vintage military black, white, and gold themed wedding. We found some beautiful vintage earrings/boraches at antique and thrift stores and then filled in the gaps with different sized pearls. For the edges we used those two sized pearls in their stranded version for super easy application. 

All you need is:
- white wood letter, 9-Inch
- stranded pearls of two different sizes
- vintage brooches or earrings (use a plier to bend the backing back and forth until it breaks off so it will lay flat (if you can't find these, here are some crystal pearl button and crystal pearl rhinestone buttons that will work perfectly)
- hot glue gun and glue
- sturdy chop or wooden sticks (slightly drill into the bottom of the letter for these to be put up in the hole with hot glue)
*Make sure your cake lady is aware that you are using this topper and she can help secure with rods in cake structure




Start with a great layout...




Begin with drilling and inserting your sticks into the bottom of the letter. Then, start by placing your pearls on the outer edge. I put the larger size pearls in the middle and then run the smaller pearls on the outside.

Once you get the edges done, start placing your broaches and earrings on the front in the layout you designed. Once your entire layout is complete, finish by placing individual pearls in the gaps to give it a super polished look! That's it!! This turned out so amazing and honestly jealous that for my vintage inspired wedding I hasn't done this topper!


Erica and Joe, I wish you a lifetime of happiness and I was so lucky to be part of your beautiful wedding and very special day. xoxo


Photos courtesy of Alisandra Photography - http://www.alisandraphoto.com





No comments:

Post a Comment